Restaurant review: Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken

Oddly enough, I figured out that one of my friends from college in Alabama actually lives in Durham, and he offered to help us move furniture the week we moved my partner into his new apartment. We didn't have a truck, so we rented a U-Haul and picked up every piece of furniture in a single day. After securing a sofa, coffee table, kitchen table and four chairs, a futon, and a bike, (and hauling it all up three flights of stairs) we were exhausted, sweaty, STINKY, and very very hungry.

At my friend's recommendation, we tried a restaurant called Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken. I ordered Pollo Saltado, which their website describes as “tender strips of chicken, roma tomatoes, red onions, and French fries sautéed.” It is served with a side of rice.

Putting chicken, tomatoes, and onions OVER French fries never would have crossed my mind but, honey, when I tell you it was delicious, I mean it was DELICIOUS. The juicy chicken seeped into the rice, flavoring it with the spices, and the onions with French fries was an impeccable combination. My partner and our friend chatted during the meal, but I just soaked in every bite. I’m not a foodie, I swear. But Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken just might change my mind.


The restaurant itself lacks much atmosphere, except for the alpaca that greets you at the front door. However, the staff is friendly and the food more than makes up for any lacking décor. I thought the pricing was reasonable given the portions, and was happy to find a satiating meal that didn't make me feel sluggish afterwards - a rare occurrence in most of the restaurants I have tried.


My mom told me that she judges how good a restaurant's food is by whether or not she feels like she could make it at home. If she could make the food at home, she would rather make it than go out to eat. If she finds a meal she could not replicate on her own, she has found a gem.

I understand her logic, and agree in a lot of ways. But this meal was definitely one I will try replicating at home, and I find that encouraging. It was a creative combination of ordinary ingredients and I can't wait to try making it at home. Cooking is stressful to me and if I can start viewing it more as a creative outlet instead of a set of instructions to follow, I think I'll enjoy it a lot more.

However, eating out is easy and fun for special occasions. I know my partner and I will be going back to Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken time and time again.

Happy eating!
Hannah



Comments

Popular Posts