Hands Free Life by Rachel Macy Stafford

I stumbled upon her work during a random trip to Books-A-Million. Browsing the clearance section, I saw a book with a pretty cover and decided to read the synopsis on the back. The words "a life of significance" caught my attention and I purchased the book.

Although my depression makes my attention span shorter than it used to be and I barely finished a book in the entirety of 2017, I read Hands Free Life in a little over a week. I would share my favorite parts with you but then I'd end up retyping the whole book, so here is the sentence that stuck with me the most my first time reading (and I'm sure I will reread Rachel Macy Stafford's words many times over).

"...when you have the most important things in life - like love, faith, and family - there is nothing you own that you can't give away."

How many times have I clung to material possessions, forgetting that my foundation is not in things, but in lasting sources of peace?

In addition to encouraging selfless giving, Stafford urges readers to slow down to consider the beauty around them and gives practical steps toward protecting sacred relationships within the home. I'm just a nineteen year old living at home with her parents and younger sister, but I was immediately inspired to spend more time listening, investing, and appreciating those who share my home. It would be easy to use Stafford's examples of her daughters and make excuses for my own situation because I am not a parent, but something in the book left no room for loopholes. "This is your life," Stafford seems to say with every sentence. "You have to live it to the fullest every single day." And while that may seem daunting, she fills the pages with honesty, exposing her own vulnerability for the sake of connection and hope for growth.

Her vulnerability also struck a cord in me. I've tried to be open in order to show others that they are not alone in their struggles, but the fear of ridicule and gossip has stopped me from sharing too much about my inner world. Reading Stafford's stories about repenting for her mistakes, tearfully asking her children for forgiveness, and then sharing those failures with groups of listeners in order to provide hope and encouragement showed me that my stories are nearly useless if they are not told. I may have seen great progress in my heart, but how much good does it do if I keep it hidden? Transparency is the only hope for community.

The small biography on the back of the book refers to Rachel Macy Stafford's methods as "non-intimidating" and I have to agree. When you're too overwhelmed to read theology or older Christian authors, Stafford's honesty, compassion, and encouragement are the perfect soul balm. She doesn't scold. She merely offers a hand and asks you to join her journey towards a life of significance.

Love,
Hannah

Comments

Popular Posts