Restaurant review: bartaco

I am not a foodie. Eating often feels like work and cooking stresses me out. However, in a recent week-long trip to Durham, North Carolina, some long-lost love for food was awakened. Durham has many diverse restaurants and my partner and I tried as many as we could.

He has moved there now, and I am spending two summer months with him before school starts again in the fall. I am eagerly anticipating trying new foods. Somehow, being introduced to food other than hamburgers and chicken fingers (the staples of Alabama) has inspired me to cook. Who would have known!

Our first stop was at an adorable restaurant called "bartaco." It was a beautiful day, so we chose to sit outside, therefore I cannot comment on the inside décor. The outdoor aesthetic was beautiful. Potted shrubs provided privacy and our waiter kindly moved our umbrella so we were shaded.

The menu is accessed using a QR code and placing an order is fully online, including payment. I really enjoyed how straightforward the process was.

bartaco markets itself as serving "upscale street tacos" and my hopes were high. I ordered two tacos - one with baja fish and one with corvina. My partner ordered two as well, one with glazed pork belly and the other with spiced chicken verde. While we waited, we were brought our order of salsa roja with baked tortillas that we broke into our own chips. 

Both the tortillas and the salsa roja were delicious. I would definitely look for the tortillas if they were offered in a store because they were baked to perfection and still warm. The salsa roja was spicy, which I wasn't expecting. I am very sensitive to spicy food so I don't normally enjoy it, but I couldn't stop eating it!

When our tacos arrived, they were served together on a metal plate and arranged in a visually pleasing way. We "toasted" our tacos and dug in.


I started with the corvina, followed with the baja fish, and finished each with about three bites. Similar to the salsa, they were some of the most delicious things I had ever eaten but they were also very spicy. I chugged my water and was relieved that my partner had ordered his own drink (both drinks were served in small pitchers) so we had plenty of liquid to wash it down with. Both of his were spicy too!

We had thankfully ordered cooling desserts. I had ordered tres leches cake and he ordered key lime pie, but as soon as I placed the order I remembered that I am tragically allergic to milk. My very kind partner insisted we swap desserts, so I ended up with a beautiful and yummy key lime pie, served in a short mason jar.

Because of the delicious-but-spicy-but-also-satiating tacos, I could only finish half my pie. My partner, on the other hand, scraped his mason jar clean. Our eyes were slightly watery from the spice, but we agreed that the experience was one worth repeating.

I was disappointed that the food was spicier than expected. The relaxing environment is not matched with relaxing food! Overall though, I would go back. I would order different items, perhaps even try some dishes from the kids' menu, but the food was so well-crafted and the atmosphere so welcoming, I won't be able to stay away for long.

The biggest take-away from the experience was an inspiration to try new food combinations. My baja fish taco is described on the menu as "spicy tempura-battered cod w/ chipotle slaw" - a food combination that would never occur to me. Creativity in the kitchen is not my strength, but I have a feeling that trying new foods and maybe a few more trips to bartaco, I will be well on my way to becoming a master chef.

Have you tried new foods recently? What was the most creative dish you've ever created? Let me know in the comments!

Happy eating!
Hannah

Note: the corvina is no longer listed on the menu.

Want to try bartaco? Find your nearest location!
https://bartaco.com/

Comments

Popular Posts